Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Penang Food Trip

I'm supposed to be working on my assignment now but here I am blogging about my Penang trip which is about 3 weeks ago. It's either I blog now or never just like how I skipped my Aussie & Bali post. I really really wanna blog about them but that's what happen when you procrastinate too much, you just can't bring yourself to do it anymore.  


So anyway, my family and I decided to go on a road trip to Penang since we are all food lovers! I was really looking forward to this trip cos the last time when I was there was primary 6 and I can't really remember how this place looks like. Furthermore, the last trip I had with my family was Bali and it's almost 2 years ago! It's really hard to go on a trip together nowadays since we all have different term breaks and both the sisters are working now. Hence, it makes every trip together more precious even if it's just a trip around M'sia.

Took over the driving wheels since dad has been driving the whole morning from JB to KL. Am so glad that I'm from Johor instead of Penang cos I can't imagine traveling to and fro Penang and KL so often. You can't speed at all cos there's so many slope, turn and bump along the way unlike the super straight and smooth highway connecting JB and KL.


Finally arrived in Penang after 5 hours of drive which is kind of torturing. Our first stop was Joo Hooi Cafe which was insanely crowded. Tried the Penang Laksa and Char Keoy Teow which we waited for 45 minutes there. I personally think this place is a bit overrated and uncomfortable to dine in.

45 minutes for this rather normal Char Keoy Teow.

This Cendol along the road beside Joo Hooi Cafe is awesome! Look at the queue on the next picture and you will know how good it is.
  
Insanely long queue along the road.


It was so good we finished 3 bowls of it within 3 minutes. However, you will be charged an extra 50cents on each bowl of Cendol if you bring it in the coffee shop.

Loving the building there which you probably can't find it in KL or JB anymore.
  
Checked in to our apartment and the food trip continues. Dinner was at Old Green House Restaurant. Everything we ordered was so goood and what we had for lunch was nothing to be compared with.

Prawn noodles with super crunchy seow yok. Not a fans of seow yok but this is really yums!

Laksa!


The porridge with chicken is somewhat similar to Loa Yau Kee Porridge in KL. I'm a siew gei person instead of pak zhang gei but this one is so smooth and good I just can't stop eating. Had a walk along Gurney Drive after dinner to digest our food so that we could have supper later on.


Had dessert at Crepe Cottage which is along Gurney Drive as well. It's a cozy little house which serve desserts and food. Only managed to try two desserts that night cos we couldn't take in anymore food.

Mango Cup.

Hot Apple Crepe.


Was supposed to try the Hainanese food at this coffee shop but we were told that they only serve those after 12pm. Nevertheless, we had some really nice food for breakfast at the same restaurant. That was me trying really hard to understand what the Ahma was talking about cos Penang people mostly converse in Hokkien. It's so good to see that all these older generation people are still doing their business, cooking really authentic and nice food where all you can see is foreign worker selling food in KL and JB. 

Super cute fan from the olden days.

Prawn mee with super clear and sweet soup.

Lobak! The octopus was so so good! (Y)

People nowadays lol.

Just as we were about to hop in the car, we saw this coffee shop on the next street which looks good too and hence we end up with a second round breakfast. Power of the Wong family haha!

Simple Keoy Teow Tng cooked by a very old uncle.

Fried carrot cake which was too oily to my liking.

Super smooth Ju Cong Fan! (Y)

Second sis was saying she need more luck cos she's been rather unlucky recently so we visited two of the temple at Lorong Burma.



There was this wheel of fortune machine in the temple which caught our attention so each of us took a 50cents to try on our luck. Got a rather good number for myself which basically says that it's a lucky and peaceful number. Not sure whether is it true or not but it's better to believe than not right? There's this sentence which says "You are very lucky in love affairs." which immediately reminds me of someone lol.


Thai coconut ice cream.


Spent the rest of the day touring Batu Ferringhi. So glad that we have dad as our driver cum tour guide. He used to visit Penang a lot when he was my age. I really love Penang despite the hot weather. This place is just so beautiful and I love how you're surrounded by super friendly people all the time.

View of Penang island from top of the hill.

Famous Asam Laksa @ Pasar Air Itam. (Y)(Y)(Y) (5 mins walk from Kek Lok Si)

So pretty rightttttt.


Had Ju Yok Fen for dinner which dad has been craving for since day 1 when we reached Penang. Never knew Penang was famous for this too until that day. Apparently this stall has been there for 90 years and it was the 4th generation that's cooking now. Dad had this when he was my age and he couldn't forget about how awesome it is. SS15's Ju Yok Fen is nothing after trying this. Probably the best food we had this trip.

Popiah with soup.


Took a ferry ride to Butterworth on the third day to meet up with dad's friends. End up taking silly pictures of ourselves cos we got bored waiting for the ferry.

 
 The only time I think we look alike. 

 



Got locked out of the car!




Lunch with dad's friend @ Butterworth which doesn't look that good from the picture but was kinda good too. So that pretty much sum up my trip to Penang this time. Definitely gonna visit Penang again!

It's 1.22am now and I'm getting hungry looking at all these food pictures. Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Many 'super' eh! You use super to desribe everything lol. and there is one sentence that catch my attention 'you are very lucky in love affairs which immediately reminds me of someone' haha. what what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really super nice whattttt. Secret! Haha. XD

      Delete